G7 Renewable Energies (Pty) Ltd stands as a prominent South African project developer and independent power producer (IPP) focused on renewable energy projects in Cape Town, South Africa. Since our inception in 2008, G7 has been a trailblazer in South Africa's renewable energy sector. We are deeply committed to delivering the utmost value for our customers, driving us to expand our portfolio to include operational IPPs tailored for the private off-take market.
About the Role:
As G7 undergoes the transition from a developer to an Independent Power Producer (IPP), our growth mandates an increase in our workforce. We are embarking on the construction of a wind farm, necessitating the appointment of a dedicated SHEQ Manager. This individual will be responsible for meticulously planning and efficiently implementing, monitoring, and promoting all necessary health, safety, and environmental initiatives. Their role involves ensuring the highest standards and quality are maintained throughout these initiatives.
The SHEQ Manager's responsibilities extend to guaranteeing G7's full compliance with all health and safety legislation, in addition to overseeing the training of all staff. This training ensures that employees are well-informed, educated, and aware of SHE requirements, as well as potential risks and hazards within the workplace. The position will be located in Laingsburg, Western Cape, with occasional travel to G7's Head Office in Cape Town as needed.
Role Specific Responsibilities:
Operational SHE Management
- Develop, implement, and manage the health and safety monitoring systems and policies in the workplace.
- Plan, implement, manage, and maintain comprehensive environmental safety and health programs on premises or at project site locations.
- Develop and implement quality management systems and processes: This may involve improving quality policies and procedures, creating quality control plans, and implementing quality assurance programs.
- For HSE:
- Review existing HSE training plans and specific training needs, provide training, as appropriate and/or facilitate visiting specialist trainers.
- Plan and manage emergency protocol/procedures (such as fire alarm drills) and organising emergency teams and first aiders.
- Participate in risk management and HSE activities including method statements, risk assessments, safe work procedures, toolbox talks, audits, and inspections, HSE Meetings, Incident Investigations, and onsite work activities.
- Collaborate with management to develop an Emergency Action Plan and serve as primary contact for project site injury and incident notification, investigation, and case management.
- Guarantee that all work is performed in accordance with approved manuals, internal policies and procedures, contract documents, and good engineering practices and ensure the business is legally compliant with all health and safety legislations.
- Conduct safety meetings, audits, and inspections to ensure compliance, evaluate performance, identify corrective action, and implement follow up assessments.
- Responsible for the control of administrative requirements, record keeping and reporting deadlines associated with the function.
- Develop and implement a safety and fire training and awareness module and organise SHE awareness program.
- Maintain the costs within budget and assist Senior Managers in preparing yearly budget for SHE functions.
- First aid duties.
- Keep abreast of developments, legislative changes, emerging trends, and latest technologies in the profession.
- Support the implementation and achievement of HSE objectives and performance measures during all construction activities.
- Conduct and lead HSE promotion and awareness campaigns
- For Quality, on site:
- Conduct quality audits: This may involve auditing quality records, inspecting products and services, and interviewing staff to assess compliance with quality standards.
- Investigate and resolve quality issues: This may involve identifying the root cause of quality problems, developing corrective and preventive actions, and implementing those actions to prevent future problems.
- Provide training and coaching on quality: This may involve training staff on quality management systems and processes and coaching them on how to improve quality.
- Report on quality performance to senior management: This may involve developing and delivering regular reports on quality performance and highlighting any areas of concern.
- Reporting: reporting of incidents and crisis events, SHE Weekly report, SHE Monthly report, Covid-19 reporting, summary of incidents and provision of Root Cause Analysis and learnings, as required.
- Primary contact for all SHE matters relating to the Project.
- Lead the implementation of COVID-19 compliance and good practice initiatives.
- Responsible for interfacing with Principal/sub-contractor HSE Representatives and Engineers on a regular basis.
- Lead initiatives to promote visible and proactive management commitment and employee engagement in HSE activities.
- Provide project management teams with guidance on health and safety and confirm project site fulfils industry, local, national SHE laws and regulations.
- Participates in team meetings and provides regular on-site project presence.
- Work with and train employees to manage, monitor and improve the health and safety standards in the workplace.
- Plan, implement, and conduct preventative care, safety, and compliance training programs.
- Work closely with various internal departments as well as external service providers.
- Technical proficiency in emergency response support of staff and contractor employees as needed, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and other additional tasks as assigned.
- Ensure compliance with system for collecting, storing, analysing, tracking, and reporting HSE performance data (e.g., Incident report findings, Audit actions, and related HSE observations/ notices).
- Provide input into the planning of relevant budgets.
- Monitor, manage, and report on relevant budgets.
- Implement and oversee 10 cost control standards and change management.
- Monthly reporting Senior Management.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Health & Safety, Engineering, and/or related discipline
- Registered with SACPCMP
- Certifications in First Aid, CPR, OSHA etc. Would be advantageous
- 8+ years of experience in operations and maintenance of power plants in construction, commercial or industry project management
- Experience in South Africa would be preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong negotiation and coordination skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent time-management, planning, organization, and prioritization skills
Kindly apply via LinkedIn for the role. The G7 Recruitment team won't be responding to any personal emails or messages relating to this vacancy. Thanking you in advance.