Job ID: 2470460 | Amazon Japan G.K. - A43
We are seeking a Principal Economist to be the science leader in Amazon's customer growth and engagement. The wide remit covers Prime, delivery experiences, loyalty program (Amazon Points), and marketing. We look forward to partnering with you to advance our innovation on customers’ behalf.
Amazon has a trailblazing track record of working with Ph.D. economists in the tech industry and offers a unique environment for economists to thrive. As an economist at Amazon, you will apply the frontier of econometric and economic methods to Amazon’s terabytes of data and intriguing customer problems. Your expertise in building reduced-form or structural causal inference models is exemplary in Amazon. Your strategic thinking in designing mechanisms and products influences how Amazon evolves.
In this role, you will build ground-breaking, state-of-the-art econometric models to guide multi-billion-dollar investment decisions around the global Amazon marketplaces. You will own, execute, and expand a research roadmap that connects science, business, and engineering and contributes to Amazon's long term success. As one of the first economists outside North America/EU, you will make an outsized impact to our international marketplaces and pioneer in expanding Amazon’s economist community in Asia.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced economist in empirical industrial organization, labour economics, or related structural/reduced-form causal inference fields. You are a self-starter who enjoys ambiguity in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. You think big on the next game-changing opportunity but also dive deep into every detail that matters. You insist on the highest standards and are consistent in delivering results.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with Product, Finance, Data Science, and Data Engineering teams across the globe to deliver data-driven insights and products for regional and world-wide launches.
- Innovate on how Amazon can leverage data analytics to better serve our customers through selection and pricing.
- Contribute to building a strong data science community in Amazon Asia.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Tokyo, 13, JPN
- Ph.D. degree in Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Information Systems, or Operations Research.
- 7+ years’ postdoctoral experience in industry/academic research positions.
- Expert knowledge and proven track record in empirical industrial organization and/or reduced-form causal inference.
- Experience in data analytics in a B2C industry (e.g., consumer/retail/retail financial services/telecoms/media).
- Experience with big data tools such as Scala, PySpark, AWS products.
- Experience with machine learning models and their applications in the Tech industry.
- Publications in world renowned scientific journals.
- Excellent in using non-technical yet precise languages, verbally and in writing, to communicate complex analytical subjects with business stakeholders.
- Experiences in people management.
Please check the website below for measures to eliminate unwanted second-hand smoking in each facility:
The salary information can be provided individually prior to the 1st interview
Posted: November 23, 2023 (Updated 3 days ago)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
* The salary benchmark is based on the target salaries of market leaders in their relevant sectors. It is intended to serve as a guide to help Premium Members assess open positions and to help in salary negotiations. The salary benchmark is not provided directly by the company, which could be significantly higher or lower.