Assistant/Associate Professor in Animation page is loaded
School of Art, Design and Media
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Faculty Position in Animation at Assistant or Associate Professor Level
The School of Art, Design and Media (ADM) at NTU, Singapore, invites qualified academics with a strong creative practice to apply for a faculty position as Assistant or Associate Professor (tenure track) in Animation or related fields in game, VR, AR or any interactive/immersive digital media. Candidates will help to set the direction of Animation courses in undergraduate and graduate programs.
1. Candidates with expertise and enthusiasm to lead in the expansion of animation beyond traditional media are encouraged to apply. This may include animation for games, VR, installation, AR or any interactive/immersive digital media that hold potential for animation as a form of creative communication.
2. Sufficient experience and awareness of the full breadth of animation media formats, including drawn and digital 2D, 3D computer animation, stop motion, motion graphics, installation and animation for games is essential. The ideal candidate would be a practicing high-calibre expert in one technique (e.g. 2D animation) but simultaneously be familiar with production pipelines and conceptual approaches across a broad spectrum of animation techniques and related media.
3. The ideal candidate will supervise student-led research and creative projects from idea generation through to final execution and presentation at the tertiary level.
This includes ideation, conceptual research, visual research, visual development, animation production through to final rendering and presentation.
ADM students are expected to deliver content creation on the narrative and visual level, with an understanding of overarching artistic concepts that will be negotiated through critical thinking.
4. The candidate must demonstrate the potential to bring international visibility to the school through sustained academic scholarship and/or creative activity. Tenure-track hires are expected to pursue activities that will position them as well-known experts in their field.
A track-record of scholarly or academic research in the animation and/or adjacent fields is expected, including any forms of publications such as conference publications, journal publications, screenings or exhibitions.
An interest to lead in the expansion of animation, game and/or interactive media design beyond traditional fields within an interdisciplinary environment,
The university provides many opportunities for funded faculty research and excellent facilities for studio production.
5. The school expects a variety of service duties, including academic and career advising of undergraduate and graduate students, school and university committee service and community engagement.
6. The ideal candidate therefore combines an active track record in scholarly research, creative practice, and pedagogy. Additional qualifications include:
A willingness to examine the cultural and social implications of animation, including their ethical and philosophical dimensions.
Located in multi-cultural Singapore, the School of Art Design Media (ADM) in Nanyang Technological University (NTU), plays an important role in the island state’s role as a global media city. The school provides cutting-edge knowledge in the applied arts, combining technological competence with artistic endeavour. The school ranks amongst the top 5-10 art and design schools in Asia.
A research-intensive university, NTU is home to 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students in Engineering, Science, Humanities Art and Social Science, Business, Education and features a prominent Medical school. NTU has been ranked amongst the world’s top young universities for the past 7 years.
Academic programs at ADM form the basis of the educational mission, underpinned by pioneering research and teaching. A focus on interdisciplinarity develops creative individuals into innovative maker-thinkers, artists, designers, storytellers and problem-solvers. Creative practice is approached with an inquiry-based mindset, and our students are encouraged to develop early leadership abilities and invest in the mission of engaging with humanity’s grand challenges.
Designed and taught by international faculty drawn from nearly 20 countries, the school offers BFA programs in ‘Design Art’ and ‘Media Art’, with an adaptive and evolving curriculum building upon excellence in our core disciplines of Visual Communication, Product Design, Interaction, Animation, Film, Photography and Game. The four-year undergraduate programs are designed to meet the highest professional and academic standards worldwide and are responsive to student interests and evolving global needs.
Post-graduate programs combine theory and practice and draw upon the natural convergence of art and technology, offering MA and PhD by research and a popular MA in Museum and Curatorial Practices. NTU provides excellent opportunities for funded faculty research and excellent facilities for creative production.
The successful applicant will contribute to the School’s development and delivery of undergraduate and graduate curricula, as well as creative and scholarly research. A strong international reputation in the field, including a significant exhibition or publishing record is a priority. A terminal MFA or PhD degree is required.
International applicants with a background in transdisciplinary and multicultural practice and research are encouraged. The successful candidate is expected to maintain an active research/creative production profile, as well as a commitment to teaching and service to the school. An open, collaborative approach, and willingness to work across areas of the school and university, is a priority. This position will also involve administrative activities and committee participation. The salary and level of appointment offered will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Further information about the University and the School can be viewed at the following websites:
NTU : www.ntu.edu.sg
ADM : www.ntu.edu.sg/adm
Please click on the "APPLY" button to submit your application.
Your application has to include the cover letter and a comprehensive CV including degrees and employment history, significant creative works and scholarly publications (if applicable). It also needs to include research and teaching statements.
Closing date for applications: 15 December 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Hiring Institution: NTU
NTU is also home to world-class autonomous institutes – the National Institute of Education, S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singapore, and Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering – and various leading research centres such as the Nanyang Environment & Water Research Institute (NEWRI) and Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N).
Ranked amongst the world’s top universities by QS, NTU has also been named the world’s top young university for the past seven years. The University’s main campus is frequently listed among the Top 15 most beautiful university campuses in the world and has 57 Green Mark-certified (equivalent to LEED-certified) buildings, of which 95% are certified Green Mark Platinum. Apart from its main campus, NTU also has a campus in Novena, Singapore’s healthcare district.
Under the NTU Smart Campus vision, the University harnesses the power of digital technology and tech-enabled solutions to support better learning and living experiences, the discovery of new knowledge, and the sustainability of resources.
For more information, visit www.ntu.edu.sg
* The salary benchmark is based on the target salaries of market leaders in their relevant sectors. It is intended to serve as a guide to help Premium Members assess open positions and to help in salary negotiations. The salary benchmark is not provided directly by the company, which could be significantly higher or lower.