Economic Development Winnipeg’s (EDW) mission is to promote and influence economic growth in Winnipeg. The team is made up of passionate Winnipeggers who build connections across our city and diverse industries to lead, facilitate and promote Winnipeg’s economic development and tourism development efforts. With a flexible, respectful, and dynamic work environment, EDW is an ideal place to expand your knowledge and build your career.
Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW) is looking for an experienced media relations and communications professional, who is passionate about Winnipeg and is interested in making a meaningful impact in our community. If you believe in our city and are a natural ambassador for what makes Winnipeg great, consider joining our dynamic and growing team!
Department: Corporate Communications
Reports to: Director of Corporate Communications
The Manager, Partner Communications & Media Relations, is accountable for developing annual media relations strategies to enhance the awareness of Winnipeg as a tourist and investment destination. The Manager also supports the Director of Corporate Communications in planning and developing communication strategies, plans and messaging for EDW's YES! Winnipeg’s and Team Winnipeg’s key private sector stakeholder audiences, along with related corporate responsibility initiatives.
Media Relations – Travel and Business
- Lead development of annual travel media strategy and decision making to increase coverage of Winnipeg as a tourist destination
- Manage work and performance of Media Relations & Communications Coordinator, who supports logistics, content creation and tools management of travel media program
- Maintain and reconcile travel media budget on a monthly basis, including quarterly/annual projections
- Create and own detailed plans, deliverables and work back schedules for travel media site visits and FAM tours
- Collaborate with partners at Travel Manitoba/Destination Canada for strategic alignment and to leverage budgets, cross-promote Winnipeg and consult on qualifying hosted media
- Assign and proactively pitch to travel media and facilitate opportunities; build and maintain strong relationships with travel media, travel content creators and other relevant verticals
- Proactively promote Winnipeg at key travel media marketplaces and complete follow-ups with journalists
- Assign and assist with hosting FAM tours/media visits
- Lead content calendar for quarterly travel media newsletter, annual story pitch marketing piece, and other pitches as required, along with support in writing and proofing related collateral
- Oversee media monitoring activities to stay informed about relevant news and industry trends
- Manage timely and effective responses to travel and business media inquiries
- Lead reporting on key travel and business media mentions for corporate reports
- Lead development of annual business media strategy and decision making to increase coverage of Winnipeg as a place to live, work and invest, including research on key media outlets and publications in identified markets
- Manage and respond to editorial requests from business media
- Support Corporate Partnerships team initiatives related to corporate social responsibility and lead related communications, including positioning key messages, with a specific focus on inclusive economic development and Indigenous relations
- Develop campaign strategy and managing plans for partner communications
- Support Corporate Partnerships team in communications plans and related messaging for corporate partner benefits
- Create awareness and recognition for EDW by continuously leveraging corporate events to raise the organization’s profile
- Support the Director of Corporate Communications’ execution of an integrated executive thought leadership program in support of our CEO and executive leadership team, leveraging the Corporate Partnerships team’s engagement strategy to promote EDW
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Ability to effectively engage in media and public relations with a proven track record of success.
- Demonstrated capability in strategically planning communication initiatives to connect with diverse stakeholders.
- In-depth knowledge of the city and a demonstrated passion, showcasing commitment to community engagement.
- Proven ability to deliver results-oriented, detail-focused work, consistently producing high-quality outcomes.
- Adept at cultivating relationships, showcasing positive interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to organize and manage time effectively, handling multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
- Effective collaboration skills as a team player, with the ability to work autonomously when required.
- Exceptional oral, written, and editing skills to convey information effectively.
- Capacity to think creatively, demonstrating innovation and bringing fresh perspectives.
- Willingness to work in-office, demonstrating flexibility for some evenings and weekends as required.
- Be ready for some travel within North America (Canada and the US).
- Additional asset: Proficiency in a second language.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in public relations, communications or journalism is required.
- Minimum five years of progressive experience working as a media relations/communications professional.
- Experience in journalism is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office / Office 365 products including Teams preferred.
- Experience with CRM and media relations/project management tools (Salesforce, Pardot, Klear, Concur, Travefy, Meltwater, CISION, TravMedia, Monday.com) is a definite asset.
DIVERSE TEAMS CREATE BETTER IDEAS AND GROWTH IN OUR CITY!
As a connector between business, industry, educational institutions and governments, Economic Development Winnipeg knows the most diverse teams bring about the best results when it comes to innovation, growth and impact on a community. Economic Development Winnipeg values team members who are diverse in age, gender identity, race and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, physical and mental abilities. Diverse voices are critical in the next chapter of Winnipeg’s economic growth and contribute to our city’s success.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates can apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until 9 a.m. on March 11, 2024 and applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.
Be the first to be notified about new Communications Manager jobs in Winnipeg, Manitoba
I agree to receive jobs matching this search by email and I agree to the Terms. I can cancel alerts at any time.
Economic Development Winnipeg in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada