We are looking for a highly experienced, culturally connected, and energetic Executive Editor to lead the editorial team of a brand new entertainment platform. The Executive Editor will set the agenda and oversee editorial content development across the MENA region.
In an ever-evolving digital era, and fast-moving news, we need an individual with a strong digital background and creative mind to navigate all accessible platforms and create valuable content in a variety of formats, at high volume and high pace.
As Executive Editor, you are expected to work with the platform’s Managing Director on the overall direction of the brand and its content strategy. The Executive Editor is expected to build a team of full-time and freelance writers and contributors, as well as a community of creators across the region who are genuine, curious, positive, and relevant.
- Develop the platform’s editorial content strategy and calendar with Managing Director covering regional (mostly) and global news and events.
- Build and lead an editorial team composed of editors, contributors, translators, and proofreaders, with the ability to deploy content covering regional and global news.
- Manage monthly content, hiring, and freelance networks’ budgets with a strategic eye towards high yield assignments.
- Ensure editorial cohesiveness of multi format content (articles, videos and podcasts on website and other platforms) whilst ensuring that content is setting the bar globally.
- Unify the brand’s storytelling tonality and content pillars across news, marketing, charts, events, and all properties.
- Own and evolve brand voice, copy guidelines and creative identity making sure it is consistent across on-site articles and social media platforms. Be content first and design a digitally led and cross platform ecosystem across social (video, infographics, animations), podcasts (audio), articles (text), and any current and upcoming trending formats and platforms.
- Work closely with the digital and production teams to ensure content is best served on all relevant social platforms and formats, across web, social, and podcasts.
- Degree in a related sector with appropriate journalism qualifications and experience.
- Worked in a similar role for at least 5 years. Have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- Have managed large team of full-time and freelance editors and contributors.
- Over 10 years of experience in digital storytelling and cross platform content creation.
- Fluent in professional spoken and written Arabic (necessary) and English (preferrable) with excellent thought process, grammatical excellence, and attractive tonality.
- Understanding of how to build audiences across digital platforms, be able to tell stories in a variety of formats, understand analytical tools and have the personality and drive to motivate a team to set the content agenda.
Personality & Culture:
- Curious, passionate, driven, fast, and always on point.
- Structured doer, clear communicator, and problem solver.
- Excited by analytics. Data-driven, but always creative first.
- Storytelling entertainer with business suave.
- Ready to work in fast pace growing environment and adapt to evolving structures.
- Have deep connections with local pop culture.
- Strong leadership skills coupled with empathy and the ability to coach and inspire the best out of junior employees.
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency and drive.
- Think BIG, Execute with excellence.
Success in this role requires a deep understanding of the entertainment industry and audience in the Middle East and North Africa region, as well as a genuine enthusiasm for developing and packaging content that speaks to fans and stakeholders in a meaningful way.