The Finance Manager, Asia will be responsible to provide finance leadership to the Smiths Detection Market business and have Responsibility for integrity of group and statutory reporting for 3 legal entities (collectively known as “Asia”)– Smiths Detection Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Smiths Detection Hong Kong, and SDAP – Korean Branch and be accountable for all aspects related to finance and accounting. This position will complete all financial and management reporting of these entities and other relevant submarkets, ensuring accuracy and timeliness in the various systems and processes.
This role will manage all financial reporting of entities (AP, AR & GL) and management reporting of Asia. This role will also be responsible for managing local statutory accounts, local/income tax and VAT filing, other reporting requirements and cash flow management including dividend and intra group loan. Additionally, this position will assure appropriate business control and manage performance analysis against budgets/forecasts providing regular updates to the senior and local management.
HR responsibility for a finance team including all transactional processing ensuring talent management objectives of the division are met. The role has the responsibility of assisting the Senior Financial Reporting Manager to drive process improvement and alignment within the market between the North & South Asia entities including internal control best practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide financial insight at entities and market view level, and act as trusted advisor to the regional and local management on all finance related matters.
- Lead budgeting processes predominantly around cash and expense planning.
- Support local Managers for budgeting and forecasting in terms of profit center with financial insight.
- Support other local senior management for budgeting and forecasting in terms of cost center with financial insight. Financial Control
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting for the business and Onyx reporting.
- Ensure process consistency across all financial processes for entities within control.
- Regular evaluation of effectiveness of ERP system
- Ensure consistent use and appropriate application of the global chart of accounts and accounting principles and policies.
- Review of balance sheet reconciliations for these entities.
- Responsible for revenue recognition for these entities and provide collaborative insight for other markets included in ASIA Market.
- Control quality and ensure timely submission of regional weekly and monthly rolling forecast, Forecast and Budget exercises in Onyx.
- Monitor business control effectiveness and develop/execute improvement plans to assure accurate financial reporting.
- Drive internal and external audits. Budgetary
- Work with Budget Owners to get an understanding of performance. Lead budget variance commentary and reporting.
- Target areas of expense overruns/inconsistencies and implement corrective measures. Tax & Compliance
- Provide statutory account, tax filing and other reporting to local authorities for these entities in a timely manner.
- Understand the transaction flows between relevant entities and ensure transfer prices and resultant profit splits are in line with divisional operating model/ divisional guidance
- Run and report monthly minimum control to ensure accuracy of financial reporting.
- Monitor and assess business control environment and take action to improve it if weakness is found. Support & Coordination
- Liaise with regional HQ secretary on company secretarial matters and to ensure transparent disclosure of information amongst stakeholders.
- Undertake any other tasks or projects required, including departmental support.
- Have Continuous Improvement mindset and drive efficiencies and process improvements within ASIA the wider Finance function, including looking for opportunities to streamline activities and improve the quality of financial information. Ethics & Best Practices
- Operate within Company policies and procedures such as Smiths Code of Business Ethics with a high level of integrity.
- Assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures
- Engage others, promote, and participate in Environmental, Health, and Safety initiatives, focusing on continuous improvement.
Experience & Background
- 8 – 10 years of experience in financial management; of which at least three to five years have been in Finance Managerial roles in a Regional head office set up.
- Knowledgeable in a local VAT, indirect taxes and all local statutory filings
- Experience of working in well-established global multinationals with matrix reporting structures.
- Strong exposure to financial control; budgeting, forecasting and management reporting; and ensuring adherence to statutory requirements.
- Experience in data management, including use of business intelligence reporting and finance systems. Knowledge of SAP is a must.
- Preferable with knowledge of treasury, tax and transfer pricing, but not a must
- Experience of local GAAP reporting is a must; exposure to UK GAAP reporting would be considered advantageous.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant from a recognized professional accountancy body. Skills & Competencies
- High level of personal and professional integrity, ethics and values.
- Demonstrates confidence, maturity, professionalism and gravitas. Keen business acumen with ability to translate strategic vision into actionable performance.
- Self-starter and a hands-on leader with the innate ability to roll-up the sleeves and get the job done.
- Ability to work independently and meet objectives without constantly looking upwards to seek directions.
- Strong proven leadership skills particularly, in terms of developing talent, setting direction and managing the performance of a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills. Ability to interact with all functions of the business and communicate at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills coupled with sound decision making abilities.
- Strong organizational and planning skills. Ability to handle pressure at work and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to quickly understand the culture, establish credibility and build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong upward management skills and ability to report to a senior level in a global multinational business.
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 14,600 colleagues, based in 50+ countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with a 170+ year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
About Smiths Detection
Smiths Detection is a global leader in detection and screening technologies for the protection of people and assets, supporting safety, security and freedom of movement in today’s world.