Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Job ID: 3304
Employment Type: Permanent
Offering a complete ecosystem of maritime services, including broking, finance, port services and research, Clarksons is at the heart of global shipping. Our unrivalled reach, expertise, and depth of experience, combined with leading research, enables us to partner with clients across every sector to meet the demands of the world’s rapidly evolving maritime, offshore, trade and energy markets. Building on our unique heritage and harnessing our insights to see further, faster, we work with our clients and communities to create strategies that have a positive impact on the industry and the world around us. Dedicated to excellence, it’s our people that drive success for our clients.
To understand more including day-to-day life at Clarksons, visit us at www.clarkson.com
Whether it’s moving a Handysize cargo of cement across the Atlantic, or a 180,000-tonne shipment of iron ore, our brokers work alongside our analysts and Research team to deliver a seamless service. We are the world’s biggest dry cargo shipbroker with 14 offices in six continents. Our long-standing relationships within the sector are founded on local knowledge and mutual respect. Discover more at www.clarksons.com/broking
We are seeking an experienced Broker to join our Dry Cargo team in Dubai. You will be responsible for negotiating and fixing spot cargoes on various routes and allocating contract cargoes to assigned ships to maximise the vessels financial results within the prevailing market conditions. The ideal candidate should have a successful Broking background within Dry Cargo, be driven and focused, and a strong relationship builder. Experience of handymax is preferred (experience of supramax and/or panamax is also desirable). Chinese and /or Korean speakers preferred.
What you’ll be doing
• Drive revenue and develop client base.
• Market tonnage to customers/shippers/charterers.
• Negotiate spot/time charters to achieve maximum income for the owners.
• Be aware of the positions and desired strategic directions for each ship assigned.
• Coordinate the allocation of spot and contract cargo to the ship assigned to the specific service.
• Set up and negotiate deals, including presenting the business to potential clients, negotiating the main terms of a contract or sale and seeing it through to its conclusion, and the completion of any follow up that may be involved.
• Coordinate with chartering and operation departments to maximise space utiliisation, minimise the number of port and berth calls and maximise the voyage financial results.
• Coordinate all aspects of trans-shipments for respective cargoes.
• Coordinate contracts of affreightment with customers to receive nominations on time and build programs which fit vessel schedules.
• Maintain current voyage records and documentation to customers for tonnage loading within the service.
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of all relevant charter party forms and company standard terms. Check through charter parties.
• Understand the business strategy for the division and seek to identify new business opportunities relating to trends, future markets, products and clients.
• Identify and introduce new clients to the market and maintain professional relationships.
• Perform market analysis and provide market insight and trade ideas to clients.
• Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the Dry Cargo market space.
• Travel and attending client social events where required.
• Additional / ad hoc duties as required to meet the needs of the business.
Key Skills & Experience
• Successful track record of shipbroking within Dry Cargo.
• Experience of handymax, supramax and/or panamax.
• Effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
• Fluency in English, Chinese and / or Korean.
• Personable and engaging, able to build strong relationships.
• Driven, self-motivated and client focused.
• Strong commercial judgement with excellent negotiation skills.
• Strong numeracy skills and excellent presentation skills.
• High focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
• Confident and able to work well under pressure.
• Good MS office skills.